Thursday, April 17, 2014

#tbt: Deep Thoughts

The year was 1992. Bill Clinton had just won the election (more on my eight-year-old feelings on THAT in a later post), I was flirting with the idea of growing out my bangs, I was really into Aladdin and Honey I Blew Up the Kid, and a pound of bacon cost a mere $1.92. (Okay, you got me. This post is not written entirely from my excellent memory, but with an assist from thepeoplehistory.com.) 


I looked a little bit like this –


– but I still had friends because I went to Montessori school.


My very non-hippie parents had just enrolled me and my brother in a Montessori school, which I was cool with because it seemed to involve quite a bit of counting beads on mats on the floor and drawing pictures of things. I came to learn that it also involved a lot of journal writing.

I didn’t know it at the time, but I was an Excellent Journal Writer.  I know this now because, in a fortuitous sequence of events (me going to my childhood bedroom closet and poking around in search of embarrassing items), I have unearthed my 1992 journal! In honor of #tbt, I present you with my top five deep-thought posts from this ancient text.


1. ON DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS




"I'm Captain Hook. I have to be careful when I get the sleep out of my eyes…. It's good to have a hook when I'm picking my teeth." Even at this tender young age, I could appreciate how one person's disability might be another person's blessing.

2. ON THE LITTLE THINGS, AND ON CATS




"My favorite things are cats and my dolls and my cousins Claire and Paige." Cats, dolls and wee little cousins are truly all you need in life. At any age.


3. ON CLARITY




"I am trying to persuade you that writing stories is fun." No messing around here. This is a persuasive essay, and I'm letting you know right up front.


4. ON THE MEANING OF LIFE (Nerd Alert)




"Why I'm Living: I'm living so I can grow up and have children. Any how, why should I die? I have a great life! I never get grounded and, hardly ever do I get in trouble. Anyway, it's so fun (my life)!" Deep.


5. ON PRIORITIES




It's not clear from this entry what my priorities were, but journal writing was clearly near the bottom. Just like blogging sometimes isn't today.

No comments:

Post a Comment