Thursday, November 21, 2013

To Mabel, Somewhere Around Your 4th Birthday


Baby George is "growing up fast," according to my girl Kate. Well guess what, my friends? Mabel is growing fast, too. Told ya Kate and I have quite a bit in common!  In honor of Mabel's quick growth, I have written this letter to Mabel on her 4th birthday. OK, somewhere near her 4th birthday. More like the 4th birthday of when I got her. Please excuse the fine layer of cat hair all over the photo above...gross. I'm going to vacuum when I get home. 

Mabel,

I took you to the vet last Thursday for your fourth birthday checkup, which was only 2 months overdue. I have seen other bloggers writing monthly letters to their human babies so that they will be able to read them later and know when they started talking, eating, walking, etc. I don't see why the norm should be any different for cats. I am way behind with your letters, obviously, but I thought I'd write you a fourth birthday letter that you can look back on fondly in the years to come.  I would have posted this last week, but it took me this long to recover from your incessant (but oh so cute) howling on the 15 minute drive to the vet. Love ya.

Measurements: You weigh 11.6 pounds, which the vet says is 1.6 too many. That seems like not much until you think that would be like 20lbs overweight for a human, or 1,120lbs overweight for your average 8,000lb elephant. See how good I am at math? I'll teach you math after you master not peeing on my stuff. But I digress. You love your food and you hate exercise, so you will probably stay overweight. You are pretty long, but won't stay still long enough for me to measure you, so I'm not sure exactly how long. Based on how fat you are, I'd say you are in the 150 percentile of cats your age. You're Mommy's little chunker.

Talking: You are a big talker! You say "meow," "me-OW," and "MEOW." When you are confused, you kind of make a "mmmMMM?" noise that is just precious. I could listen to you talk all day, except for when you are talking to me as you walk across my face at 5am because your automatic feeder hasn't fed you yet. Then it's not as cute.

Eating: We are doing cat-led weaning, so you just mainly eat whatever you can find. You eat Adult Light catfood because of your weight struggles, but sometimes when you look extra cute we give you a can of WET FOOD! Your dad thought you deserved one last week after the vet fiasco. I disagreed but you got your tuna deelite. I wish you'd develop an eating complex or something but you seem truly unashamed of your girth.

Meds: You are off your meds right now, which may be changing based on the comforter we found with your pee all over it. You sometimes take Prozac, which dries out your eyes so that you need eyedrops as well. It's pretty adorable trying to give you eye drops. When your Herpes flares up, we give you medicated treats as well - 12 per day is the recommended dose! No wonder there's so much of you to love.

Diseases: Anxiety, obviously, and the Herp comes and goes. We're not sure how you picked that up, but we sure are proud of you.

Well, Mabel, you are truly a treat to live with. I just love seeing how you are growing and changing, and I can't wait to see what you become! We are all aspiring to publishing a new series of "Fat Cat Falling" photos one day. You're our golden ticket, and we couldn't love you any more.

xoxox,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment